Toggle Menu SearchSearch

Child sex offences

Sexual exploitation of children is an abhorrent act and the Australian Government is committed to doing all it can to prevent its occurrence. Recent legislative changes have strengthened the laws against child sex offences outside Australia and have introduced restrictions on overseas travel for registered child sex offenders.

Australian registered child sex offenders

It is a Commonwealth offence for registered child sex offenders to leave Australia without approval from law enforcement agencies. Information for reportable offenders is available from the Australian Passport Office.

Child sex offences committed by Australians overseas 

Australians who commit child sex offences while overseas can be investigated and prosecuted under Australian law.

These laws ensure that Australians who commit sexual offences against children while overseas will not escape the tough penalties they would have received if the offences were committed at home. This means that sexual offences perpetrated against children are criminal offences regardless of where you are.

Australians who commit child sex offences while overseas can be investigated and prosecuted under Australian law. The penalties for these offences include a term of imprisonment of up to 25 years for individuals and fines of up to $825,000 for corporate bodies. A number of Australians have been successfully prosecuted under these laws.

The laws are contained in Division 272 and 273 of the Criminal Code Act 1995. Detailed information about child sex offences, including child sex tourism, is available on the Attorney General's Department website.

Federal and State Police actively monitor and prosecute child sex offenders. The AFP cooperates with other countries' law enforcement authorities to actively monitor and investigate Australian citizens, permanent residents or companies that are associated with such offences.

Reporting child sex offences

If you have information about child sex offences committed overseas, including child sex tourism, call 131 237. If you are outside of Australia, call 61 2 6126 7755. You may also call AFP anonymously on 1800 333 000.

Alternatively, you can report suspicious behaviour by completing the Report Child Sex Tourism form on the AFP website or write to:

Child Protection Operations Team
Australian Federal Police
GPO Box 401
Canberra ACT 2602