Toggle Menu SearchSearch

Voting overseas

If you will be overseas on the day of an Australian election, you can still have your say.

Voting is compulsory in Australia. All eligible Australian citizens must enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums. Penalties may apply if you do not vote.

If you're thinking of travelling overseas during an election period, plan ahead.

Check your enrolment

To vote while overseas, you must be enrolled. Ensure your details are up to date.

You can enrol, check or update your details on the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website.

To check which electorate you live in, search by suburb or postcode using find my electorate.

The deadline to enrol will be published on the AEC website ahead of each election.

How to vote

You can apply for a postal vote or vote in person in Australia before you go overseas.

Details of early voting centres in Australia will be available on the AEC website.

Vote at an Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate overseas

Early voting facilities may be available in person at some Australian diplomatic missions overseas.

Contact your nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate for opening hours and further details.

In some places, voting will be available by appointment only. Specific security or entry requirements may be in place, particularly at high risk locations.

To ensure you receive the correct ballot papers, you will need to know which Australian address you are currently enrolled at. Some locations will have computer terminals available for voters, but this may not be offered in all countries. Confirm your enrolment information before visiting an Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate.

Unable to vote

If you're overseas and unable to vote, complete an overseas notification form and return it to the AEC. Being overseas is a valid reason for not voting.

Where to get help

For more information about upcoming elections contact the Australian Electoral Commission or the relevant State and Territory electoral commission via the Australian electoral portal.​