Toggle Menu SearchSearch



  • Exercise normal safety precautions in China. Exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour. Monitor the media and other sources for changes to local conditions.
  • Exercise a high degree of caution in Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (Xinjiang) due to increased security measures and heightened ethnic tensions. See Safety and security.
  • Exercise a high degree of caution in Tibet Autonomous Region (Tibet). Don't travel to Tibet without permission from the Chinese authorities. See Local travel.
  • Foreigners have been the target of a number of scams. These often involve a stranger approaching you, offering a massage or to have a drink. See Safety and security.
  • If you're involved in a criminal matter or investigation, or directly or indirectly in a civil or commercial dispute, you may not be allowed to leave China until the matter is resolved. See Laws.
  • Penalties for serious drug offences are severe and include the death penalty. Foreigners have been executed for drug offences. The use or possession of even small quantities of 'soft' drugs, such as marijuana, is illegal and laws are strictly enforced. See Laws.
  • Terrorist attacks are possible in China. Attacks could be targeted or indiscriminate, including in places visited by expatriates and foreign travellers. See Safety and security.
  • Transit visas (issued on arrival) are available for some short visits. If you require a full visa, you must obtain it prior to travel. See Entry and exit.
  • Doing business in China has some risks, including legal risks. See Laws.
  • The Chinese Government doesn't recognise dual nationality. If you're a Chinese-Australian dual national, travel on your Australian passport, obtain a visa for China and present yourself as an Australian citizen at all times. See Laws.
  • Typhoon season is between May and November.  Monitor regional weather forecasts and local media. Plan accordingly and follow the instructions of local authorities. See Natural disasters.

Entry and exit

Every country or territory decides who can enter or exit through its borders. The Australian Government cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet your destination’s entry or exit requirements.


You may require a full visa for travel to China, even as a tourist. Transit visas (issued on arrival) are available for some short visits. If you require a full visa, you must get this prior to travel.

The website of the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Australia has detailed information on the eligibility of Australians for various visa types. For foreigners already travelling or residing in China, all visa queries should be directed to the Foreigners Entry and Exit Administration Section of the local Public Security Bureau (PSB).

Fingerprint scanning of foreign nationals (aged between 14 to 70 years) on arrival, commenced in 2017.

Chinese authorities strictly enforce penalties for entry and exit visa violations. Ensure you depart China before your visa expiry date. Penalties for visa violations range from fines to detention. Fines are imposed for each day overstayed, including if you’re in detention. The period of detention can range from five to 30 days, depending on the severity of the violation.

Australians who become involved in a criminal matter or investigation, or directly or indirectly involved in a civil or commercial dispute, may be prevented from departing China until the matter is resolved. See Laws.

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of China for up-to-date information.

Travel to Hong Kong and Macau

Hong Kong and Macau are Special Administrative Regions (SAR) and have separate visa and entry administration to mainland China. Travellers who exit mainland China to visit Hong Kong or Macau may require a new Chinese visa to re-enter mainland China. If you're planning to travel to mainland China from Hong Kong or Macau, get the appropriate visa for China before leaving Australia.

If you intend to apply for a visa at the border of Shenzhen and Hong Kong, or Zhuhai and Macau, and you held a Chinese visa in a recently replaced passport, you may be asked to present your previous passport and Chinese visa.  If you have visited China previously, you may be denied a visa on arrival if you are unable to produce your previous China visa. Some visas issued in Hong Kong or at Hong Kong-Macau-Chinese mainland border crossings are valid for limited travel to designated areas only, such as Shenzhen, Zhuhai or other areas in Guangdong Province. It's illegal to use these permits to travel to other parts of China. Carefully check your visa requirements and limitations.

There are media reports of increased screening of digital devices at border crossings between Hong Kong and mainland China.

More information:

Transit arrangements

Arrangements exist for Australian passport holders to transit designated international airports or ports in mainland China without a visa. Strict conditions apply, including the need to remain within a specified area and to provide evidence of onward travel to a third destination within the time limit applying to your arrival location. The designated airports/ports and requirements are subject to change. Transit periods vary by location. Check with the nearest Embassy or Consulate of China for the latest information. If you're transiting an airport in China for less than 24 hours and don't leave the airport, you won't need a visa.

Other formalities

All foreigners, including long-term residents are required to register their place of residence with the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 24 hours of arrival. If you're staying in commercial accommodation, such as a hotel, registration is part of the check-in process. Some hotels include taking photographs and collecting fingerprints of foreign guests as part of registration formalities. See Laws.

If you’re a parent of a newborn baby born in China, you must register the child with the local PSB within 30 days of the child's birth. The child's birth certificate, parents' passports and child's passport are required to complete the registration process. Ensure you apply for a Chinese visa in the child's passport, as the child won’t be able to depart China without a valid visa. For citizenship issues, see the Dual nationals section under Laws.


To enter China, your passport must be valid for at least six months from the date you intend to leave China.

Keep a copy of your passport and Chinese visa in a safe place.

If your passport is lost or stolen while in China, you will need to get a new passport and Chinese visa to allow you to leave China. Chinese authorities can take up to five working days to issue a visa, and the process can take significantly longer during Chinese holiday periods. Don’t expect the Chinese visa renewal or replacement process to be expedited to meet your travel or flight schedule.

To replace a passport and visa:

  1. obtain an official loss report from the local police (this report can be used when checking in to a hotel and is needed for obtaining a new passport and Chinese visa)
  2. obtain a replacement passport from the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate
  3. apply at the Foreigners Entry and Exit Administration Section of the local PSB for a replacement Chinese visa in your new passport.

Your passport is a valuable document and attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. Always keep it in a safe place.

If your passport is lost or stolen, you must notify the Australian Government as soon as possible.


The currency in China is the Renminbi (RMB). Chinese law limits the amount of foreign currency you can carry in and out of China.

  • If you're carrying over US$5,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency) in cash, you must declare it upon arrival in China. Keep the declaration as you will need to show it to customs officials upon departure.
  • If you plan to leave China carrying over US$5,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency), you need to obtain permission from a Chinese bank.
  • You can't leave China carrying over US$10,000 (or equivalent in foreign currency).

ATMs that accept Visa, MasterCard, Cirrus, Maestro, American Express and JCB are widely available in major Chinese cities.

Credit cards are widely accepted in major cities, particularly in international hotels and restaurants. In smaller cities, using international cards may be more difficult.

Safety and security


Petty crime

Petty crime directed at foreigners occurs, particularly pickpocketing, purse snatching and theft of laptops, passports and mobile phones. Resisting can lead to violence or injury. Travellers have been targeted on overnight long-distance trains, buses and on other forms of public transport. Foreigners have been assaulted and robbed, particularly in areas popular with expatriates, including the bar and shopping precincts of Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and in other major cities.


Foreigners have been the target of a number of scams when travelling in China. Often tourists are approached and invited for a massage, teahouse service, or to a cafe or bar nearby for various reasons including 'to practise English'. Afterwards, the tourist is presented with a vastly inflated bill and isn't permitted to leave until they pay the bill by credit card. Physical violence, including serious assault, has occurred in these situations. Credit card skimming or duplication has occurred.

In Shanghai, foreigners can be targeted on the Bund, and around East Nanjing Road, People's Square and occasionally Hongqiao, by people offering 'massages'. The foreigner is guided to a building and after the massage is provided, they're threatened and sometimes assaulted by a group of men connected with the establishment. Foreigners have been forced to pay large sums of money.

Travellers have been asked to carry goods concealing narcotics out of China. Never carry parcels or luggage for others. Always pack your own bags.

There have been reports of foreign travellers being drugged and robbed in China after accepting offers of food, drink or transportation from strangers.

There have been incidents of ATM scams including the use of fake ATMs that take the user's card. Only use ATMs inside a secure place such as a banking facility or shopping centre, and during daylight hours.

If you’re the victim of petty crime or a scam, report it immediately to the nearest police station. Always obtain a police report when reporting a crime.

More information: Scams


There is a risk of armed bandit attacks in remote areas bordering Pakistan, Burma, Laos, Vietnam and Russia. Be vigilant if travelling in these areas.

Civil unrest and political tension

Demonstrations without prior approval from the Chinese Government are prohibited and protestors can be arrested.

  • Don't photograph, film or participate in protests or other acts which could be seen as provocative by Chinese authorities.
  • Avoid protests, demonstrations or large gatherings.

Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region (Xinjiang)

Exercise a high degree of caution if travelling in Xinjiang. The security situation in this region is volatile due to heightened ethnic tensions. Increased security measures are in place and individuals of Uighur descent are particularly affected. Security checks in major cities in Xinjiang are common, be prepared to show photo ID if asked.

In 2014 and 2015, violent incidents resulted in deaths and injuries in Urumqi, the capital of Xinjiang, and the city of Kashgar. Since 2008, incidents have occurred in a number of cities and towns across Xinjiang. The Government may impose restrictions on movement and communications in Xinjiang with little warning.

Tibet Autonomous Region (Tibet)

Exercise a high degree of caution if travelling in Tibet. In the past, protests have turned violent resulting in deaths and injuries. Demonstrations and violence can occur with little warning.

Don't travel to Tibet without permission from the Chinese authorities. Foreigners wishing to travel to Tibet must apply for a Tibet Entry Permit issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau. Applications for Tibet Entry Permits can only be lodged through specialised travel agents in China and travel can only be undertaken through organised tours.

More information: Local travel


Terrorism is a threat throughout the world and attacks in China are possible. Attacks could be targeted or indiscriminate, including in places visited by expatriates and foreign travellers. In recent years, violent attacks, including acts of terrorism, have resulted in injuries and deaths in public places, including at railway stations and markets. Australians could inadvertently become victims of violence directed at others.

More information: Terrorist threat worldwide

Local travel

There are restrictions on travel by foreigners in China.

If you plan to travel outside of major tourist areas, check that the area is 'open to foreigners'. For example, restrictions apply near military installations and some border areas.

Tibet, Qinghai, parts of Xinjiang, and western Sichuan are situated at altitudes over 3,000 metres. Travellers in these areas may suffer from altitude sickness.

Travel and living conditions vary greatly between cities and less developed rural areas. You may have trouble accessing services such as banking, internet, and landline and mobile phone services in rural areas.

Quarantine requirements vary throughout the provinces and municipalities in China. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of China for up-to-date information.

Road travel

Poorly maintained roads and aggressive driving can make travel by road in China dangerous. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), you're four times more likely to be killed in a motor vehicle accident in China than in Australia.

More information: Road safety and driving

Driver's licence

All drivers must hold a valid Chinese driver's licence. Foreign driver's licences and International Driving Permits aren't valid in mainland China. Long-term residents can apply for a Chinese driver's licence at the Vehicle Management Office in their city of residence. Foreigners entering China on a visa with less than 90 days validity may be able to obtain a provisional driver's licence, with a validity period up to the length of their visa.

Travellers considering hiring a car in China should clarify arrangements for driving licence requirements with car-hire companies directly. Age and health restrictions apply, and vary depending on the class of driver's licence. 


All motorcycle riders must hold a valid Chinese motorcycle licence. Foreign motorcycle licences and International Driving Permits issued for motorcycles aren’t valid in mainland China. Procedures and requirements to apply for a motorbike licence, including a provisional motorcycle licence, are similar to those for cars. Contact a local Vehicle Management Office for further information.

You don't require a licence to ride an electric bike. Check your insurance covers you for riding all types of motorised bikes.


Use only licensed taxis or reputable limousine services, preferably those arranged through your hotel. Always insist that the meter is used. Most taxis in China do not have seatbelts.

A common scam when paying a taxi fare with a RMB100 note occurs when the taxi driver swaps the note for a fake note, and returns the fake note to the passenger, refusing to accept it for payment as it’s counterfeit.

Ride sharing apps are widely used in major Chinese cities.

Public transport

Tour operators, public buses and ferries might not meet safety standards, particularly in rural areas. Sufficient safety equipment may not be provided. Recommended maintenance standards and safety precautions may not be observed.

  • Always use available safety equipment, such as lifejackets or seatbelts.
  • If appropriate safety equipment isn't available, use another provider.

More information: Travelling by boat

Air travel

The Australian Government doesn't provide information on the safety of individual commercial airlines or flight paths. See the Aviation Safety Network website for information on aviation safety in China.

Contact your airline or travel agent for up-to-date information on flights and transport options, for both domestic and international travel.

More information: Air travel


Local laws

You're subject to all local laws and penalties, including those that appear harsh by Australian standards. Research local laws before travelling, especially for an extended stay.

If you're arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you under our Consular Services Charter, but we can't get you out of trouble or out of jail. The Australian Government can't intervene in the Chinese judicial process.

In China, a person aged 14 years and above is treated as an adult under the law. If detained, a person of this age will be held with adults and be subject to the same conditions and legal processes as adults.

If you're a Chinese-Australian dual national and travel on your Chinese passport, Hong Kong or Macau Mainland Travel Permit, an identity card issued by Taiwan or any non-Australian foreign passport, the Australian Government won't be able to provide consular assistance.

Death penalty

Drug offences and other serious crimes can attract the death penalty. Under Chinese law, there is very limited scope to appeal for clemency for any Australians sentenced to death.

More information: Death penalty (Amnesty International)

Drug laws

Penalties for all types of drug offences, including use, possession, manufacturing, selling or trafficking, are severe, and can include life imprisonment or the death penalty. These laws are strictly enforced, even for small quantities of 'soft' drugs, such as marijuana, and apply to persons aged 14 years and above. Foreigners have been executed for drug offences.

More information: Carrying or using drugs

Legal proceedings and investigations

Exit bans

If you're involved in a criminal matter or investigation, or a civil or commercial dispute, you may not be allowed to leave China until the matter is resolved. In some cases, individuals aren't aware an exit ban has been imposed on them until they have attempted to depart China.

You don't have to be directly involved in the legal proceedings to be affected. Some Australians have reported they have been subjected to an exit ban and prevented from leaving China as a result of a commercial or legal dispute involving family members. Some Australians have been restricted from leaving China for extended periods of time, sometimes many years, because of this.

If you engage in activities involving local legal matters, seek professional advice, and be aware of your rights and responsibilities.

Other laws

China’s laws on national security are interpreted broadly. Foreigners have been detained on grounds of endangering national security.

The following activities are also illegal in China:

  • demonstrations without prior approval from the government
  • participating in certain religious activities including preaching, distributing literature and associating with unapproved religious groups
  • participating in any Falun Gong activities
  • gambling and the promotion of gambling activities
  • prostitution
  • taking photographs of military or government buildings. Seek permission from local authorities before taking photographs.

If you breach these laws, you could be arrested, imprisoned, fined and/or deported.

Under Chinese law, you must adhere to the following rules:

  • Register your place of residence with the local Public Security Bureau within 24 hours of arrival in China, and each time you change your residential location. If you are staying at a hotel, this is done as part of the normal check-in process. If you're staying elsewhere (such as with family or friends), visit the nearest police station and present your passport and valid Chinese visa to register.
  • Carry evidence of your identity at all times and present it when requested by the police. Your passport or a Chinese residence card is an acceptable form of identity.

If you fail to register your place of residence or to carry identification, you can be fined or detained.

Homosexuality isn't illegal in China, but be aware of local sensitivities.

More information: LGBTI travellers  

Australian laws

Some Australian criminal laws apply overseas. If you commit these offences, you can be prosecuted in Australia. Laws include those relating to:

  • bribery of foreign public officials
  • child pornography
  • child sex tourism
  • female genital mutilation
  • forced marriage
  • money laundering
  • terrorism.

More information: Staying within the law

Doing business in China

Increased Australian business activity in China has resulted in higher numbers of commercial disputes in recent years. Investigate the market, get professional advice and conduct appropriate due diligence before establishing business relationships. Get professional legal advice before entering into any contract in China, including residential leases and business contracts.

If you or your business become directly or indirectly involved in a business or civil dispute, or a criminal proceeding, you may be prevented from leaving the country until the matter is resolved. Some Australians have been restricted from leaving China for extended periods of time, sometimes many years, because of this.

Business issues that may be civil or commercial disputes in Australia may be classified as criminal matters in China, particularly if state enterprises or state assets are involved. Penalties for commercial and economic crimes can be severe.

There has been an increase in the number of incidents in which Australians and other foreigners have been held against their will at their workplace. These incidents involved other companies or disgruntled employees attempting to resolve business and employment disputes through protests and, often, threats of violence.

More information:

Employment in China

Disputes over alleged misrepresentation of working and living conditions for Australians working in China, particularly those teaching English, occur frequently. If you’re considering travel to China for work, verify the true nature of the work being offered and make sure you have the correct visa before arrival. Failure to maintain a valid visa can result in significant fines and detention.

Seek professional legal advice before signing any contract, whether in Australia or after arrival in China.

Check carefully:

  • Local laws governing business or other activities you wish to undertake in China.
  • Employment contract terms: contracts may contain unacceptable conditions. Example: conditions for early termination may state that the employee surrenders the right to a return air ticket or that pay may be withheld.
  • Passports: reputable businesses won't request you to surrender your passport for 'safe-keeping'. Don't surrender your passport to your employer.

More information: Living and working overseas

Dual nationals

The Chinese Government doesn't recognise dual nationality and won't allow consular access by the Australian Embassy or Consulate to Australians detained by Chinese authorities if they have entered China on a Chinese passport, a Hong Kong or Macau Mainland Travel Permit, an identity card issued by Taiwan or any non-Australian foreign passport.

  • If you are a Chinese-Australian dual national, travel on your Australian passport, obtain a visa for China and present yourself as an Australian citizen at all times.

If you're a former Chinese citizen, Chinese authorities may continue to treat you as a Chinese citizen and not allow you access to Australian consular services, even if you entered China on an Australian or other foreign passport, and you:

  • haven't renounced your citizenship according to Chinese law
  • haven't formally advised the Chinese authorities of your Australian citizenship, or
  • continue to maintain a Chinese passport or household registration.

Certain categories of Chinese citizens, such as state officials, may not be permitted to renounce their Chinese nationality under Chinese law. Seek professional legal advice if you are uncertain about your citizenship status under Chinese law.

Contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs for advice if you intend to seek Australian citizenship by descent for children born in China.

Where one parent is from mainland China, a child born in China will be considered a Chinese national under Chinese Law. Local authorities may not recognise the child's Australian citizenship and passport. Contact the local Entry and Exit Administration Bureau for more information.

More information: Dual nationals


Travel insurance

Take out comprehensive travel insurance before you depart to cover overseas medical costs, including medical evacuation.

Remember, regardless of how healthy and fit you are, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. The Australian Government won't pay for your medical expenses overseas or medical evacuation costs. This can be very expensive and cost you many thousands of dollars upfront.


  • what circumstances and activities are and aren't covered under your policy
  • that you are covered for the whole time you'll be away.

More information: Travel insurance

Physical and mental health

Consider your physical and mental health before travelling, especially if you have an existing medical condition.

  • At least eight weeks before you depart, see your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and implications for your health.
  • Get vaccinated before you travel.

More information:


Not all medications available over the counter or by prescription in Australia are available in other countries. Some may even be considered illegal or a controlled substance, even if prescribed by an Australian doctor.

Take prescription medicine with you so you remain in good health. Take a copy of your prescription or a letter from your doctor stating what the medicine is, how much you take and that it's for personal use only.

Before you leave Australia, check if your medication is legal in each country you're travelling to.

More information: Prescription medicines

Health risks


Tap water in China may not be safe to drink, depending on your location. Drink only bottled water with intact seals.

Avian influenza

The World Health Organization (WHO) has previously confirmed human deaths from avian influenza in China. Avian influenza virus strains continue to circulate in poultry in China. The primary source of infection appears to be poultry handled within poultry markets.

  • Minimise your exposure to live poultry.
  • Avoid visiting live bird and animal markets (including 'wet' markets) and poultry farms.
  • Practise good personal hygiene.
  • When preparing food, handle poultry and poultry products properly and thoroughly cook all parts of the poultry.

More information:


HIV/AIDS is a significant risk in China. Exercise appropriate precautions if engaging in activities that expose you to risk of infection.

You could be exposed to unsafe blood and blood products, particularly in regional China. Specifically request the use of sterilised equipment. You may need to pay for the use of new syringes in hospitals or clinics.

Mosquito-borne illnesses

Japanese Encephalitis (also known as Encephalitis B) is endemic in rural areas of Southern China from June to August. A Japanese Encephalitis vaccine is available.

The risk of malaria is heightened in rural areas of the country, particularly in the provinces of Hainan, Yunnan, Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Sichuan, Tibet (Zanbo Valley areas only), Anhui, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi and Shandong. The risk of malaria increases during warm weather. Medicine to reduce the risk of malaria is available.

In Guangdong and Guangzhou in particular, there has been a sharp rise in cases of dengue fever. The risk of contracting dengue rises during the wet season.

Protect yourself against mosquito-borne illnesses by:

  • ensuring your accommodation is mosquito proof
  • taking measures to avoid insect bites, including using insect repellent and wearing long, loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing.

Speak to your doctor about:

  • taking prophylaxis against malaria
  • vaccination against Japanese Encephalitis.


Health authorities report a high number of animal and human rabies cases annually in China. Be cautious in all contact with both wild and domestic animals in China.

More information: Infectious diseases

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) is common in China. More serious outbreaks occur from time to time. Outbreaks usually start in March/April and peak in May, but can continue until October each year. HFMD mostly affects children under the age of 10 years, but adult cases (particularly young adults) aren't unusual. The illness is characterised by fever as well as blisters and rashes on the hands, feet and buttocks. HFMD is spread by direct contact with nose and throat discharges and faeces of infected people.

  • Wash your hands carefully and frequently.
  • Take other hygiene precautions.


Major cities in China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chengdu, experience frequent high pollution. Children, the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions, particularly cardiac and respiratory conditions, may be especially affected.

Northern China is particularly susceptible to high levels of pollution. In 2015, Chinese authorities began issuing red alerts for periods of expected high pollution. When a red alert is in place, authorities implement measures such as closing schools, limiting car use and suspending construction activity. Flights schedules are regularly delayed in China because of smog.

Dust storms occur on occasion across the north of China. They can cause eye, nose, mouth and throat irritations and exacerbate respiratory and cardiovascular problems.

  • If you live in or intend to visit China and are concerned about the levels of air pollution, seek medical advice.
  • Follow advice from local authorities about days with high levels of pollution and methods to reduce exposure.

More information:

Medical facilities

International standard medical services in China are expensive. If you intend to stay in China for an extended period of time, explore options for local health insurance or ask your employer if health coverage is provided through your employment.

Some hospitals in major cities have specialised departments for treating foreigners. However, the standard of medical care and the range of familiar medications available in China is often limited, particularly outside of major cities. Medical personnel in rural areas of the country may lack adequate training.

Hospitals and doctors often require cash payment prior to providing medical services, including for emergency care. Medical evacuation from China is very expensive.

Travel to China for medical treatment is increasing. Seek independent information, such as from health professionals and former patients, to satisfy yourself of the quality of medical service. Don't be lured to uncertified medical establishments where medical standards are lacking or where the establishment isn't able to provide the medical care advertised.

Natural disasters


Typhoons can occur along the southern and eastern coasts between May and November. The direction and strength of typhoons can change with little warning.

Flights in and out of affected areas could be delayed or suspended. Access to sea ports may also be affected. In some areas, adequate shelter from a severe typhoon may not be available to all who stay.

In the event of an approaching typhoon:

  • review and follow hotel or cruise ship evacuation plans
  • identify your local shelter
  • carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. passport, photo identification, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location
  • follow the advice of local authorities
  • monitor media reports for the latest information
  • contact friends and family in Australia with updates about your welfare and whereabouts
  • if you plan to travel, contact your airline for the latest flight information; available flights may fill quickly.

More information:

Earthquakes and tsunamis

China is subject to earthquakes.

More information: Earthquakes

All oceanic regions of the world can experience tsunamis, but in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, there is a more frequent occurrence of large, destructive tsunamis because of the many large earthquakes along major tectonic plate boundaries and ocean trenches.

If there is a natural disaster:

  • follow the advice of local authorities
  • monitor media reports for the latest information 

Where to get help

Depending on what you need, your best option may be to first contact your family, friends, travel agent, travel insurance provider, employer or airline.

Emergency phone numbers

  • Police: 110
  • Firefighting: 119
  • Ambulance: 120

Always get a police report when reporting a crime.

Tourism services and products

For complaints relating to tourism services or products, contact your service provider directly.

Australian Government

Read the Consular Services Charter for what the Australian Government can and can't do to help you overseas.

For consular services in China, contact the Australian Embassy in Beijing or our Consulates-General in Shanghai, Guangzhou or Chengdu.

Australian Embassy, Beijing

21 Dongzhimenwai Dajie
Sanlitun, Beijing 100600
Phone: (+86 10) 5140 4111
Fax: (+86 10) 5140 4292
Social media: WeChat

Australian Consulate General, Shanghai

Level 22, CITIC Square
1168 Nanjing Xi Lu
Shanghai 200041   
Phone: (+86 21) 2215 5200
Fax: (+86 21) 2215 5252

Australian Consulate General, Guangzhou

12th Floor, Development Centre
No. 3 Linjiang Road
Zhujiang New City
Guangzhou 510623   
Phone: (+86 20) 3814 0111   
Fax: (+86 20) 3814 0112

Australian Consulate General, Chengdu

27th Floor, Square One
18 Dongyu Street, Jinjiang District
Chengdu 610016   
Phone: (+86 28) 6268 5200   
Fax: (+86 28) 6268 5222

Check the relevant website listed above for information about opening hours and temporary closures that may affect service provision.

If you are unable to contact the Embassy in a consular emergency, you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre in Canberra on +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Additional information

Additional resources