Smartraveller: The Australian Government's travel advisory and consular assistance service
Latest travel advice updates
- Democratic Republic of the Congo - updated 28 November 2014
- Mali - updated 28 November 2014
- French Polynesia - updated 28 November 2014
- Fiji - updated 28 November 2014
- New Caledonia - updated 28 November 2014
- Moldova - updated 28 November 2014
- Egypt - updated 27 November 2014
Latest travel bulletin updates
- Ebola outbreak in west Africa - updated 28 November 2014
- South Australian By-Election, District of Fisher: 6 December 2014 - updated 18 November 2014
- Anzac Day 2015 in Gallipoli - updated 03 November 2014
Click on a country for its travel advice page. Larger version of this map.
- The Australian Government has introduced a suite of reforms focused on the prevention and disruption of domestic terrorist threats in the Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Foreign Fighters) Act 2014. The reforms will make it an offence for Australians to enter or remain in an area overseas which has been declared by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, in which a listed terrorist organisation is engaging in a hostile activity.
- On 23 October 2014, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop launched the CHOICE travel insurance buying guide. In an interview on Today the Minister said, "If you can't afford travel insurance you can't afford to travel overseas. We urge all Australians travelling overseas to take out comprehensive travel insurance otherwise you might find yourself with significant medical bills or hospital bills if something should happen to you, and when you take out travel insurance make sure you take out the right insurance that covers the activities you're likely to be undertaking."
- On 12 September 2014, the Government raised the domestic National Terrorism Public Alert level to High. This represents the assessed threat of terrorist attack within Australia. Heightened security arrangements are in place at Australia's international airports. Consider giving yourself extra time to clear security formalities at airports.