Official advice:
Exercise normal safety precautions

Map of Hong Kong

Warnings by area

View full map

Advice levels

Hong Kong overall, exercise normal safety precautions ↓

Exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia.

Conditions can change suddenly

We recommend you subscribe to updates

Latest advice, 29 Feb 2016

This advice contains new information on visas (Entry and exit), scams and drink spiking (Safety and security) and infectious diseases (see Health). The level of the advice has not changed. We continue to advise Australians to exercise normal safety precautions in Hong Kong.


  • We advise you to exercise normal safety precautions in Hong Kong. You should exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia. Monitor the media and other sources for changes to local travelling conditions.
  • Criminals, including scammers and cyber-criminals, have been known to approach Australian travellers in Hong Kong seeking money or requesting assistance, including carriage of belongings on international flights. See Safety and security.
  • Penalties for serious drug offences in Hong Kong are severe. Each year a number of foreigners are arrested for trafficking drugs, mainly when attempting to exit the airport in Hong Kong.
  • Hong Kong has screening arrangements in place for travellers arriving from countries affected by Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), including the Republic of Korea. See the Health section for more information.
  • Typhoon season is between May and October. You should keep informed of regional weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Monitor local media reports and follow the instructions of local emergency officials. For more information on what to do during a typhoon see Additional information: Natural Disasters, Severe Weather and Climate.
  • Travellers to Hong Kong should monitor local media and avoid any demonstrations that may take place.
  • See Travel Smart for general advice for all travellers.
  • Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:

Entry and exit

Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) and has separate immigration regulations from those of the People's Republic of China.

Australian tourists do not require visas for visits of less than 90 days. If you enter Hong Kong on a visitor visa, you are not allowed to take up any employment, paid or unpaid, or join in any business, or study at a school, university or other educational institutions. We strongly encourage you to seek information from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Immigration Department well in advance of your intended travel date.

As visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice, you should contact the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office located in Sydney for the most up to date information. If you are already in Hong Kong and have enquiries about Hong Kong visa matters, you can visit the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department at 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong, (tel: (852) 2824 6111) or online at

You should ensure you have a correct and current visa at all times, particularly if you intend to work. Travellers and residents who overstay their visas in Hong Kong may be questioned or detained on departure, depending on the length of overstay. Breaches of immigration regulations may be punishable by fines and imprisonment.

If you plan on travelling to China, you are strongly encouraged to contact the nearest Chinese embassy or consulate for detailed information on visas. We recommend you get an appropriate visa for China before leaving Australia. Australian travellers to mainland China whose passports are lost or stolen are required to travel to the most convenient Australian Embassy or Consulate in mainland China (Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai or Guangzhou) for replacement travel documents.

If you are entering the Hong Kong SAR from the People's Republic of China, you may be required to obtain a new visa to re-enter the People's Republic of China. For more information read our travel advice for China.
Make sure that you check any requirements for visas in other regional destinations you will visit, including transit locations, before you travel. Also make sure your passport has at least six months’ validity from your planned date of return to Australia.

Safety and security

Civil unrest/political tension

Travellers to Hong Kong should monitor local media and avoid any demonstrations that may take place.


Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. See our Terrorist Threat Overseas bulletin.


There is little violent crime in Hong Kong. As with any major city in the world, pick-pocketing and street theft can occur at tourist destinations and crowded locations such as in markets and on trains.

Take precautions when using ATMs or direct debit machines. We recommend you use ATMs in controlled areas such as inside banks, shops or shopping centres. If approached while using an ATM, cancel the transaction before speaking to anyone.


Australians should be aware of an increasing number of scams involving criminals, often connected to drug-related activities, presenting themselves to Australian travellers in Hong Kong as individuals in need and seeking assistance to carry on an international flight, or otherwise return, another person’s belongings/luggage to Australia. The scam is usually initiated via the internet and financial rewards may be offered as an enticement. Do not carry anything for anyone you do not know and trust, especially when crossing international borders.

Scammers may also request money, credit card or online bank account details to facilitate illegitimate or criminal activity. Do not send money, give credit card or online bank account details to anyone you do not know or trust.

Scams involving bogus property, holiday club or time-share schemes, scratch lottery tickets and foreign lottery schemes have been reported in Hong Kong. Australians should be particularly careful and thoroughly research any such scheme before entering into an agreement. You should seek independent, qualified legal advice before signing any property contract.

Our international scams page provides more detail on different types of scams that travellers may encounter.

Drink spiking: Criminal syndicates are known to hire females to approach unaccompanied western male tourists in bars and nightclubs to spike their drinks and steal their valuables. The criminals then use the victim’s card to withdraw money from their account at ATMs. Avoid accepting drinks from strangers and be wary of strangers who approach you in bars and night clubs.

Money and valuables

Your passport is a valuable document that is attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. It should always be kept in a safe place. You are required by Australian law to report a lost or stolen passport online or contact the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate as soon as possible.

Local travel


Unlicensed guest houses providing low cost accommodation operate in Hong Kong. You should be aware that unlicensed guest houses may not adhere to the safety standards set for licensed guest houses, and can present serious safety and security risks, including fire. If you choose to stay in a guest house, we recommend that you confirm it is licensed and inform your family and friends of the details of your stay. You can check the full list of licensed guest houses at the Home Affairs Department of Hong Kong website.

Airline safety

The Australian Government does not provide information on the safety of individual commercial airlines or flight paths. See instead the Aviation Safety Network website for information on aviation safety in Hong Kong.

Please also refer to our general air travel page for information on aviation safety and security.


You are subject to the local laws of Hong Kong, including ones that appear harsh by Australian standards. If you are arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you under our Consular Services Charter. But we cannot get you out of trouble or out of jail. Research laws before travelling, especially for an extended stay.

Hong Kong has strict laws regarding the import and/or possession of any type of weapon and items that may resemble weapons, including replicas, antiques, toys and fashion accessories. Foreigners, including Australians, have been prosecuted for possession of stunning devices, dart and spear guns, knuckledusters and slingshots. These items are illegal, including those bought at local Hong Kong markets, unless permits for their import and possession have been obtained from local authorities beforehand. Travellers found in possession of such items will be subject to arrest, fines and/or imprisonment. The laws apply to individuals in Hong Kong and those transiting Hong Kong airport, and apply to hand luggage, checked luggage and luggage in transit. See the Civil Aviation Department’s list of restricted items for more information.

Penalties for possession of illegal drugs, including 'soft-drugs', involve heavy fines and imprisonment. Each year, a number of foreigners are arrested for allegedly trafficking drugs, mainly when attempting to exit the airport in Hong Kong. See our Drugs page. Penalties also exist for possession of sleeping tablets or prescription medication used in treating conditions such as erectile dysfunction or anxiety without a prescription.

Laws prohibiting demonstrations without government approval are strictly enforced. If arrested, you could be imprisoned or deported.

You should avoid taking photographs of military installations.

Some Australian criminal laws, such as those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, child pornography, and child sex tourism, apply to Australians overseas. Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia.

Doing business in Hong Kong

Australians doing business in Hong Kong should see our business travel advice for general information on the potential for legal and other risks. The Australian Trade Commission (Austrade) provides specific advice on doing business in Hong Kong. In addition, our Living and Working Overseas page provides further information for Australians considering working or living overseas.

Information for dual nationals

Under Chinese law, dual nationality is not recognised. However, Hong Kong's basic law allows dual nationals of Chinese descent to register their Australian nationality with the Hong Kong Immigration Department if they wish to be considered as a national of Australia. Doing so would ensure access to Australian consular services, if required. If you are an Australian/Hong Kong dual national, you are advised to seek further information on completing a Declaration of Change of Nationality, and the consequences of this, from the Hong Kong Immigration Department.

If you plan to enter mainland China from Hong Kong, you should do so on your Australian passport. If you travel on other documents, we will not be able to provide you with consular assistance as China does not recognise dual nationality. You should see the travel advice for China for more information.

Our Dual nationals page provides further information.


We strongly recommend that you take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, including medical evacuation, before you depart. Confirm that your insurance covers you for the whole time you'll be away and check what circumstances and activities are not included in your policy. Remember, regardless of how healthy and fit you are, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. The Australian Government will not pay for a traveller's medical expenses overseas or medical evacuation costs.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our health page also provides useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

Hong Kong has a wide range of medical services and facilities that are of a high standard. Costs can be considerably more expensive than in Australia. Private hospitals may require confirmation of insurance cover, guarantee of payment or an up-front deposit before admitting patients.

The levels of air pollution in Hong Kong may aggravate bronchial, sinus or asthma conditions. People with existing heart or respiratory illnesses should reduce physical exertion and outdoor activities on days when very high pollution levels are recorded. The Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department provides up-to-date air quality reports and advice on its website.

Outbreaks of mosquito-borne illnesses, including dengue fever, occur from time to time. We encourage you to take measures to avoid mosquito bites, including using insect repellent, wearing long, loose-fitting, light coloured clothing and ensuring your accommodation is mosquito proof.

Water-borne, food-borne and other infectious diseases (including tuberculosis, hepatitis, scarlet fever and hand, foot and mouth disease) occur sporadically. We recommend that you avoid raw and undercooked food. In rural areas, it is recommended that all drinking water be boiled or that you drink bottled water, and that you avoid ice cubes. Seek medical advice if you have a fever or are suffering from diarrhoea.

Hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) is common in Hong Kong with more serious outbreaks occurring from time to time. In Asia, outbreaks of HFMD usually start in March/April and peak in May but can continue until August to October each year. It mostly affects children under the age of 10 years but adult cases (particularly young adults) are not unusual. The illness is characterised by fever as well as blisters and rashes on the hands, feet and buttocks. HFMD is spread by direct contact with nose and throat discharges and faeces of infected people. Normal hygiene precautions should be taken including careful and frequent hand washing.

The Hong Kong SAR Government is currently at ‘Alert’ response level for influenza, including avian influenza A(H7N9). Human cases of avian influenza A(H7N9) have been reported in mainland China. Travellers should follow good hand hygiene and food safety practices, and avoid contact with animals. For more information see the websites of the Department of Health and the World Health Organisation.

The Hong Kong SAR Government is currently at ‘Alert’ has raised its response level for Ebola.

The Hong Kong SAR Government is currently at "Alert" response level for MERS-CoV. Hong Kong’s Department of Health continues to apply special surveillance mechanisms at boundary control points. Travellers who arrive or transit in Hong Kong and have flu like symptoms may be sent to public hospitals for isolation and management until their specimens test negative for MERS-CoV. Further information on is available on communicable diseases in Hong Kong is available from the Hong Kong Centre for Health Protection website.

Where to get help

Depending on the nature of your enquiry, your best option may be to contact your family, friends, airline, travel agent, tour operator, employer or travel insurer. Your travel insure should have a 24 hour emergency number.

If the matter relates to criminal issues, contact the local police at the nearest police station, or through the national emergency telephone number 999. You should always obtain a police report when reporting a crime.

If the matter relates to complaints about tourism services or products, contact the service provider directly.

The Consular Services Charter explains what the Australian Government can and cannot do to assist Australians overseas. For consular assistance, see contact details below:

Australian Consulate General, Hong Kong

23/F Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2827 8881
Facsimile: (852) 2585 4457
Facebook: Australia in Hong Kong and Macau

See the Consulate-General website for information about opening hours and temporary closures that may affect service provision.

If you are travelling to Hong Kong, whatever the reason and however long you'll be there, we encourage you to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. You can register online or in person at any Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. The information you provide will help us to contact you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family issue.

In a consular emergency if you are unable to contact the Consulate-General you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Additional information

Natural disasters, severe weather and climate

Typhoon season is between May and October. Hong Kong has a well-developed severe weather alert and monitoring system. Further information is available from the Hong Kong Observatory or the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. Monitor local media reports and follow the instructions of local emergency officials. If you are travelling during typhoon season, you should check whether tourist services at your planned destination have been affected.

You should keep informed of regional weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Local safety procedures require businesses and transportation to close during typhoon level 8 and above.

Flights and ferries into and out of Hong Kong may be delayed or suspended, including for weather related reasons. You should contact your travel operator or airline for the latest departure information. You should familiarise yourself with your hotel or cruise ship evacuation plans. You should carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. passport, photo identification, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. We also suggest that you contact friends and family in Australia with updates about your welfare and whereabouts. For further information, see our severe weather page.

The Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong closes when the “Typhoon 8” signal is given. Australians requiring consular assistance can still contact the 24 – hour Consular Emergency Centre on either Hong Kong telephone number + 852 2827 8881 or the Australian telephone number + 61 2 6261 3305.

Additional Resources

For additional general and economic information to assist travelling in this country, see the following links:

Warnings by area

Map of Hong Kong