We recommend you:

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade does not issue a travel advice for Barbados at this time.

Australians should read Travel Smart for useful travel information to help you prepare for your trip, and advice on what you should do if you run into problems overseas.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our Health page also provides useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

Mosquito-borne illnesses, such as dengue, zika and chikungunya, occur commonly in the Caribbean region, especially during the rainy season (June to December). We recommend that you take precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes, including using insect repellent at all times, wearing long, loose-fitting, light coloured clothing and ensuring your accommodation is mosquito proof. Seek medical advice if you have a fever, muscle pain, rash or severe headaches as they are symptoms of both dengue fever and the chikungunya virus. For further information, see the World Health Organisation's factsheets on dengue fever and the chikungunya virus.

Zika Virus: Barbados is experiencing ongoing transmission of the mosquito-borne Zika virus (ZIKV). The infection often occurs without symptoms but in some cases can cause fever, rash, severe headache, joint pain, and muscle or bone pain. There are no vaccines. All travellers are urged to protect themselves by taking measures to prevent mosquito bites. Given possible transmission of the disease to unborn babies, pregnant women (or women trying to become pregnant) should consider postponing travel or talk to their doctor about implications. See our travel bulletin on Zika virus.

All oceanic regions of the world can experience tsunamis, including the Caribbean. See the Tsunami Warning Center website and the Tsunami Awareness brochure for more information on tsunamis.

Where to get help

Depending on your enquiry, your best option may be to first contact your family, friends, airline, travel agent, tour operator, employer or travel insurer. Your travel insurer should have a 24 hour emergency number.

The emergency numbers in Barbado are - Fire: 311, Police: 211, and Ambulance: 511.

The Consular Services Charter explains what the Australian Government can and cannot do to assist Australians overseas. Australia has a Consulate in Bridgetown headed by an Honorary Consul. The Consulate provides limited consular services and cannot issue passports. Contact details are:

Australian Consulate, Barbados

2nd Floor, Cedar Court
Wildey Business Park
St Michael, Bridgetown
Telephone: +1 246 434 1130/1
Email: ahchonconbb@caribsurf.com

The Australian High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago can provide full consular services. Contact details are:

Australian High Commission, Port of Spain

18 Herbert Street, St Clair
Port of Spain
Telephone: (1 868) 822 5450
Facsimile: (1 868) 822 5490
Website: www.trinidadandtobago.highcommission.gov.au/
Email: australianhighcommission.pos@gmail.com
Facebook: Australia in the Caribbean.

See the High Commission website for information about opening hours and temporary closures that may affect service provision.

In a consular emergency if you are unable to contact the High Commission or Consulate, you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305, or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Other useful information

All Australians travelling to Barbados, whether for tourism or business or for short or long stays, are encouraged to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Australians can register in person at any Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate or on-line. The registration information provided by you will help us to find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family emergency.

If the situation changes and a travel advice for Barbados is issued, travellers can be automatically notified by subscribing to our e-mail subscription service.

Foreign Affairs Canada, the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and the US State Department also issue travel advice for their citizens.

For additional general and economic information to assist travelling in this country, see the following links:

Warnings by area

Map of Barbados