How to register a trip (individual, family or group)
Trip registrations for groups (e.g. school tours, sporting teams) are no longer manually processed by the Smartraveller team. All group registrations must now be submitted online.
Before you can register a trip, you must have a Smartraveller account.
- If you subscribed to travel advice before 2 June 2016, you have an 'old' Smartraveller account. You will need to reset your password.
- If you did not subscribe to travel advice before 2 June 2016 and have not registered a trip since that time, you will need to create an account.
Creating a trip
First, sign-in to your Smartraveller account. You will then be taken to the ‘My account’ screen.
- Click Create or update trips
- Click + Create new trip
- Enter a meaningful name e.g. "Simon's school reunion" or "Vanuatu – Central High School – Year 9 – June 2017"
- Click Save and next
Adding travellers to a trip
- If you have not created any travellers from previous trips click on + Create a new traveller. The first traveller will be the main contact. This can be changed later if needed. Enter their personal details for the traveller and then Save.
- Add the travel insurance details.
- Add or create a new emergency contact. The emergency contact can be used for multiple travellers. It is preferred that the emergency contact is the next of kin to the traveller and will be in Australia during the trip. Click Save.
- Select the relationship of the emergency contact to the traveller. Click Save and next.
- If there are more travellers click on + Add traveller and repeat the process. If other travellers are using the same family member as an emergency contact you can just Select emergency contact.
- Once all of your travellers have been added click Save and next.
Adding destinations to a trip
- Click on + Create new destination.
- In the Search for an address or location field, Google autocomplete can assist in the search process. Search for the name of the hotel, city, state and country. If going on a cruise, search for the name of a city, state and country where you will make a port call. Click on the correct returned response.
- If your address is not returned, click on the tick box I cannot find my address at this destination and you can manually enter the address. Please do not try to enter multiple destinations as the registrations are sent to the relevant overseas mission automatically depending on your destination. You will be able to add more destinations later.
- There is no need to enter Australia as your last location, we presume that when you depart the last country that you are returning to Australia.
- Add the date that you arrive at that destination and the date that you depart and your contact details there.
- If you have more destinations click on Add a new destination.
- Once complete click on Save and next.
Reviewing your information
Once you have added travellers and destinations to your trip you can review your draft registration. At this stage your trip has not been submitted. If you notice any errors click on the Edit this traveller button and update the detail or click on the Edit all travellers buttons to add travellers. If you wish to edit a single destination click on the Edit this destination button or the Edit all destinations button to add or remove destinations.
From this review screen you can also print your draft registration.
Submitting your trip registration
When all of your travellers and destinations have been entered submit the trip by clicking the Submit trip registration button.
A confirmation screen will be displayed with a registration number for your trip. An email confirmation will also be sent to the email address of the primary traveller if you entered an email address for this trip. An email is not sent if you update an existing trip. If you need to update any details all you need to do is sign back into your account, select the appropriate trip and edit the details.