Toggle Menu SearchSearch


  • Exercise normal safety precautions in Vietnam. You should exercise common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia. Monitor the media and other sources for changes to local travelling conditions.
  • Petty theft is common in tourist areas, markets and other public places. Aggravated theft, and sexual assault also occurs, particularly in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang and other major cities. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and minimise the amount of valuables you carry (see Safety and security).
  • Vietnam has screening arrangements in place for all inbound travellers. Travellers displaying symptoms of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) or Zika virus may be quarantined by local health authorities. See Entry and exit.
  • Penalties for drug offences are severe and include the death sentence. Vietnamese authorities have strict security measures to combat drug trafficking. Over 30 Australians are currently serving long sentences, including life imprisonment, for drug trafficking in Vietnam. See Laws.

  • Traffic accidents occur often in Vietnam. You should consider the risks of driving a car or riding a motorcycle in Vietnam, particularly if you are unfamiliar with local conditions. International Driving Permits issued in Australia are not accepted in Vietnam. You must have a valid Vietnamese drivers licence to drive in Vietnam. See Local travel.
  • There are continuing reports of public disclosure of personal information by private online visa services and applications through travel agents for ‘visa issued on arrival’ approval letters. We recommend you apply for your Vietnamese visa directly from the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam.

  • The rainy season occurs between June and December every year. During this period, flooding, flash flooding and typhoons are common. Travellers should follow the instructions of local authorities, monitor media and weather reports, and check with tour operators before travelling to affected areas. See Entry and exit.
  • See Travel Smart for general advice for all travellers.

Entry and exit

To enter Vietnam, you must have a valid visa, a visa exemption document or a written approval letter for a visa to be issued on arrival. Your passport must also have at least six months' remaining validity at the time of your arrival.

Apply for your visa through official channels

The Australian Government continues to receive reports of scams involving online visa applications through commercial providers and applications through travel agents for a 'visa issued on arrival' approval letter. The Australian Government is also aware of reports of applicants' personal details being made public following online application or application via a travel agent for a 'visa on arrival' approval letter.

The Australian Government therefore recommends that you apply for a visa directly from the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam.

Use the Government of Vietnam's online information portal to access official visa information, including which type of visa you should apply for. There is also an application form which you can complete online, print and take to the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam. If you arrive in Vietnam with a written approval letter for a visa to be issued on arrival, the fee will be payable in cash only, either $US or Vietnam Dong.

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam for the most up to date information.

Changes to Vietnamese Immigration Law

Foreigners entering Vietnam are no longer permitted to change the status of their entry visa (such as tourist visa or spouse visa) to any other visa type (such as a working visa) in-country. Australian citizens who are intending to work in Vietnam should contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam to seek further guidance on obtaining the correct visa to enter Vietnam for work purposes.

Foreigners must use only one passport for his or her entry, exit, transit and residence in Vietnam.

If you're crossing into Vietnam via a land border, you will need to apply for an entry permit at the province's immigration department. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam for up to date information on this issue.

Australian citizens who are spouses or children of Vietnamese nationals can apply for a visa exemption certificate. The certificate is valid for 5 years and allows multiple entries into Vietnam for 6 month periods. Please lodge the application at the nearest Vietnamese Embassy or the Immigration Department in Vietnam.

Passports and visa extensions

In order to obtain a visa extension from the Vietnamese immigration authorities (including for overstaying your visa), your passport must have at least six months' validity remaining at the time of application. This requirement is subject to change, so confirm with the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam.

Failure to hold a valid visa in your passport may delay your departure from Vietnam.

For detailed information on passports and visas for Vietnam, including lost or stolen passports, visa replacements and exit visas, please visit the Australian Embassy or Consulate-General in Vietnam websites.

Copies of a recent passport photo with you in case you need a replacement passport while overseas. For information on reporting and replacing your lost or stolen passport, visit the Australian Passport Office website.

Registration requirements

All foreigners are required to register their place of residence with the local police within 24 hours of arrival.

Foreigners staying at a hotel should check with hotel management that registration is completed as part of the normal check-in process. You will need to provide your passport details to the hotel for registration to be completed. In some hotels, foreigners might be requested to leave passports with hotel staff for registration purposes. While this is common practice, it is not a legal requirement for hotels to retain your passport for the full duration of your stay.

Foreigners staying at a private residence, for example, at the residence of family or friends, must register by visiting the local police station, with a translator if needed. Please note, the Embassy or Consulate-General cannot provide translation services to assist with registration. If you are staying at a private residence, you must ensure that your local host has complied with the legal obligations associated with the pre-registration of foreign guests.

Re-entry visas

If you intend to leave Vietnam and return during your trip, you should hold a valid Vietnamese multiple-entry visa.

Australians planning to travel to neighbouring countries should refer to the travel advisories for Cambodia, Laos and China.


Foreign currency (including cash and travellers cheques) in excess of $US5,000, Vietnamese Dong 15,000,000 and gold exceeding 300 grams must be declared at customs (with supporting documentation) upon arrival and departure. Excess currency and gold not declared may be confiscated at the port of entry/exit and the passenger arrested and/or fined. These requirements may be subject to change and you should contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam for the most up to date information.

Travelling with prescription medication

Local law stipulates that prescription medicine (except for addictive and psychotropic medicine) intended for non-commercial use can be brought in to Vietnam at a quantity where the total import value is less than $US100. Prescription medicine with a total import value greater than $US100 must be declared at customs.

Local law stipulates that the quantity of addictive medicine (medicine that deals with the treatment of addiction) and psychotropic medicine (medicine used to treat anxiety, depression, insomnia and other conditions) carried by individuals upon entry and exit must not exceed the quantity prescribed by a doctor, and must not exceed a maximum of seven days use for addictive medicine and ten days use for psychotropic medicine. The prescription must be in English or Vietnamese, include name and age of patient, list all medication, including name, volume and dosage, and include the doctor's signature and address. Medication must be declared at the customs gate. See also our travelling with medication page.


Inbound passenger health screening

Vietnam has health screening arrangements in place for all inbound travellers. Particular attention will be paid to those arriving from countries affected by Ebola and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV). Travellers displaying symptoms of MERS-COV, Zika virus or Ebola virus may be quarantined by local health authorities.

Safety and security


Street crime and harassment occur, especially in larger cities. Petty theft, including bag-slashing, is common in tourist areas, markets, on crowded trains, buses and at supermarkets. The incidence of petty theft increases in the lead up to Vietnamese and Western holiday periods.

Aggravated theft, sexual assault and assault occur, particularly in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Sapa (particularly on the train to/from Lao Cai) and Cat Ba Island (near Ha Long Bay). Reports of groping and sexual assault are increasing. Be particularly vigilant on overnight trains and buses and on quiet stretches of road if alone after dark.

Snatch-and-grab crimes against pedestrians by thieves on motorcycles are frequent and have sometimes resulted in injury to victims. These types of crimes can occur when crossing the street or walking along footpaths. Be aware that valuables such as jewellery, handbags, phones and cameras are popular targets for criminals. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and where possible, minimise the amount of valuables you carry.

There have been reports of taxi scams involving foreigners. At airports, travellers are advised to use airport taxis, prearranged hotel transfer services or taxis from clearly marked taxi ranks with minders. Check that any person holding a placard with your name on it knows your destination. Ensure that you choose a reputable and reliable company and that the taxi driver knows your destination before entering the taxi.

Foreigners have been robbed and sexually assaulted after accepting spiked food and drinks, particularly at late-night establishments in major cities. Pay close attention to the preparation of mixed alcoholic drinks to avoid drink spiking as well as adulteration of spirits with methanol. Take care to only consume alcohol at reputable establishments.

There have been reports of drug use causing psychotic episodes and hospitalisation. Marijuana in any form is illegal in Vietnam.

Due to the prevalence of HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and other sexually transmitted diseases and infections, victims of violent crime, especially rape, are strongly encouraged to seek immediate medical assistance.

There have been reports of break-ins to hotels and private residences, even while guests are in their rooms. Take care to ensure that valuables are secure at all times and report any theft promptly to the local police and hotel management.

There have been reported cases of tourists becoming victims of gambling scams. Be aware of people who are overly friendly towards you and invite you back to their home. These approaches may lead to gambling scams, in which some Australians have lost thousands of dollars. Gambling may also contravene local laws, which also apply to tourists. See Laws section. The Tourism Department of Hanoi has set up a hotline for tourists to call and report scams or help them report it to police but at this stage the number only covers Hanoi (+84 941 336677).

There have been reports of threats of physical violence or death related to personal or commercial disputes. If this occurs, report the matter to the local police personally, or through hotel staff or other in-country contacts. To avoid potential disputes, make sure you have a clear agreement on what the expected level of service is.

Civil unrest/political tension

Although rare, protests do occur in Vietnam. Australians should avoid taking photographs of demonstrations, the military or the police, as this may not be tolerated by the Vietnamese authorities.

Internal conflict is rare in Vietnam, although some localised violent clashes between protesters and police have, in the past, resulted in a small number of casualties.


Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. See our Terrorist Threat Worldwide bulletin.

Money and valuables

Credit cards are widely accepted throughout major cities in Vietnam. Cash can be obtained using several internationally recognised credit/debit cards through ATMs, which are widespread in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang. Check with your bank to confirm if your ATM card will work in Vietnam

Incidents of card swiping have occurred throughout Vietnam. Keep your credit card in sight at all times. There have also been incidents of theft occurring near ATMs soon after travellers make cash withdrawals.

If you require a replacement ATM card while overseas, please be aware that you may have difficulty having it delivered to Vietnam. Many Australian banks do not maintain local or regional branches with English-speaking staff and Vietnamese postal services are generally unreliable. Consider using an international courier service if you need a replacement. The Australian Embassy or Consulate-General cannot provide you with bridging funds while you wait for a new card, nor act as a personal mail holding service.

Your passport is a valuable document that is attractive to criminals who may try to use your identity to commit crimes. It should always be kept in a safe place. You are required by Australian law to report a lost or stolen passport online or contact the Australian Embassy in Hanoi or the Australian Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City as soon as possible.

Please refer to the Entry and exit section for advice on what to do if your passport is lost or stolen in Vietnam.

Local travel

Long Tan Cross site: In August 2016, the Vietnamese Government did not permit the planned Long Tan 50th anniversary commemoration service to take place at the Long Tan Cross site in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province. The Vietnamese Government has advised that it will not permit official commemorations at the Long Tan site, including on Anzac Day 2017. The Vietnamese Government has indicated that access to the Long Tan Cross site will remain open to small groups of people for contemplative private visits without media coverage, but this may change at short notice. Consistent with long standing practice, visitors to the Long Tan Cross site in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province may not wear medals or uniforms, or carry banners or flags. Visitors are asked to behave in a solemn manner, respectful to the wishes of local communities. See the Australian Consulate-General website for further information.

Travel is restricted near military installations. Travel is also restricted in some parts of the Central Highlands and some border areas.

Unexploded ordnance and landmines are a continuing hazard in former battlefields, particularly in central Vietnam and along the Laos border. Mine-free roads and paths are well marked.

The safety standards you might expect of transport and tour operators, including adventure activities such as mountain climbing and boat trips, may not be of the same level as in Australia. Sufficient safety equipment may not be provided and recommended maintenance standards and safety precautions may not be observed. Always use available safety equipment, such as lifejackets or seatbelts, even if others don't. If appropriate safety equipment is not available, use another provider.

Road travel

You must have a valid Vietnamese drivers licence to drive in Vietnam for all vehicles, including motorcycles of 50cc or more. Australian International Driver's Permits are not recognised in Vietnam. Non-Vietnamese citizens are only permitted to drive in Vietnam if they hold a temporary Vietnamese drivers licence. Fines for driving without a valid licence vary. For information on obtaining a Vietnamese drivers licence (including temporary licences) visit the website of the Australian Embassy or Consulate-General in Vietnam.

Driving standards and vehicle and road maintenance are generally poor. Traffic accidents occur frequently in Vietnam and tend to attract large crowds.

The number of tourists involved in serious motorcycle accidents is increasing. Under Vietnamese law, you must wear a helmet at all times when riding a motorcycle, including when travelling as a passenger. We recommend that you check that your travel insurance policy covers you when travelling by motorcycle.

You should consider the risks of driving a car or riding a motorcycle in Vietnam, particularly if you are unfamiliar with local conditions. If you are involved in an accident, whether or not you are at fault, you could face criminal charges and may be required to make large compensation payments to the injured person. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), you are four times more likely to be killed in a motor vehicle accident in Vietnam than in Australia.

Inter-city buses have a high accident rate. Petty theft regularly occurs on buses.

Streets are crowded in major cities and road rules are routinely ignored. Be very careful when crossing busy streets as traffic can appear from any direction.

For further advice, see our road travel page.

Rail travel

Rail travel is generally safe in Vietnam, however petty theft can occur. We have received numerous reports of theft on sleeper trains between Hanoi and Lao Cai/Sapa. When travelling by rail, ensure you retain the ticket stub at all times as it is required upon exiting the train station.

Sea travel

Boats, hydrofoils and ferries in Vietnam may not meet Australian safety standards. Accidents on waterways do occur and there have been a number of fatalities resulting from vessels sinking, for example, in Ha Long Bay. Whenever considering travelling by boat,  ask tour operators about the safety record and emergency procedures, and ensure there is adequate safety equipment such as life vests on board. If adequate equipment is not available, use another provider.

Piracy occurs in the coastal areas of Vietnam. For more information about piracy, see our piracy page. The International Maritime Bureau issues piracy reports on its website.

Air travel

All airports in Vietnam require you to show your luggage tags when exiting the airport. Keep your luggage receipt from your airline on you at all times.

Vietnamese law requires that children 14 years and under travelling alone on domestic flights must carry a birth certificate and an authorisation letter between the legal guardian of the child and the airline confirming that the child can travel alone. We recommend that you contact the airline well in advance of the flight to confirm this requirement.

The Australian Government does not provide information on the safety of individual commercial airlines or flight paths. See instead the Aviation Safety Network website for information on aviation safety in Vietnam.

Please also refer to our general air travel page for information on aviation safety and security.


You are subject to the local laws of Vietnam, including those that appear harsh by Australian standards. If you're arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you under our Consular Services Charter. But we can't get you out of trouble or out of jail. Research laws before travelling, especially for an extended stay.

Penalties for drug offences

Vietnamese authorities have strict security and investigative measures to combat drug trafficking. Penalties for all types of drug offences, including those involving small amounts of drugs, are severe. Under the Vietnamese penal code, a number of drug offences attract the death penalty. It is common for drug offences to attract a sentence of life imprisonment.

There are currently over 30 Australians serving life sentences for drug trafficking offences, including some potentially facing the death penalty.

Never carry parcels or luggage for others.

More information on the risks of carrying or using drugs is available on the Smartraveller Drugs page.

For information about carrying prescription medications into Vietnam, see the Entry and exit section.

Other legal issues

Penalties for serious crime, such as rape, espionage and hijacking, include the death sentence.

Photography of border crossings and military installations is prohibited and may result in arrest or deportation. Avoid taking photographs during demonstrations.

You could be detained if you venture too close to the border with China, Cambodia or Laos without prior written permission from the local authorities. Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam for up to date information on this issue.

Gambling is illegal in Vietnam, except in government-licensed casinos. Anyone found to be in violation of this law is subject to steep fines and/or a severe prison sentence. Access to licensed casinos is restricted to holders of foreign passports.

Foreign citizens suspected by local authorities to be involved in non-state sanctioned political or religious activities may be denied entry into Vietnam, detained, deported or prevented from departing Vietnam until authorities have completed investigations of their activities. This also applies to online activities.

It is against the law to export antiques from Vietnam without a permit. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism can provide further advice and any necessary permit. Please note that this website is in Vietnamese and you may need a translator to assist in determining correct requirements. The Australian Embassy and Consulate-General cannot provide translation services.

Local laws prohibit possession of pornography, non-state sanctioned political material and religious material. Being caught in possession of this type of material will attract penalties, including fines and detention.

Some Australian criminal laws, such as those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, child pornography, and child sex tourism, apply to Australians overseas. Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia.

Marriage in Vietnam

Foreigners wishing to marry a Vietnamese citizen in Vietnam must seek formal approval from the Department of Justice in the province where the Vietnamese citizen is registered. You will also be required to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) if you plan to marry in Vietnam. You can apply for a CNI through the Australian Embassy in Hanoi or the Australian Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City. Please note, the Embassy and Consulate-General will only issue CNIs for the purpose of marriage. You can also apply for the CNI from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia, but it will need to be authenticated by the Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate in Australia before it is recognised by the Department of Justice in Vietnam, so additional fees will apply.

Doing business in Vietnam

Increased Australian business activity in Vietnam has resulted in higher numbers of commercial disputes in recent years. If you are considering entering into a contract of any sort in Vietnam, you are advised to seek professional legal advice before entering into the contract.

If Australian nationals carrying out business in Vietnam become involved in a business or civil dispute, they may be prevented from leaving the country until the matter is resolved.

Australians doing business in Vietnam should see our advice for business travellers for general information on the potential for legal and other risks. The Australian Trade Commission (Austrade) provides specific advice on doing business in Vietnam. In addition, our Living and working overseas page provides further information.

Employment in Vietnam

Disputes over alleged misrepresentation of working and living conditions for Australians working in Vietnam, particularly those teaching English, occur frequently. If you are considering travelling to Vietnam for work, you should verify the true nature of the work being offered and make sure you have the correct visa before arrival. You are advised to seek professional legal advice before signing any contract, whether in Australia or after arrival in Vietnam.

Some points to check carefully include: 

  • Employment contracts: Contracts may contain unacceptable conditions. For example, conditions for early termination may state that the employee surrenders the right to a return air ticket, and pay may be withheld.
  • Passports: Reputable businesses will not request you to surrender your passport for "safe-keeping". Never surrender your passport in these circumstances.
  • Failure to maintain a valid visa and work permit will result in a fine and possible detention. Please check the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for the appropriate types of visa categories for employment in Vietnam.

    If you intend to work in Vietnam, you and/or your prospective employer are responsible for obtaining all necessary work permits. The Australian Embassy or Consulate-General can provide a limited range of notarial services for some documents required for a work permit.

Information for dual nationals

Vietnam only recognises dual nationality in limited circumstances.

Our ability to provide consular assistance to Australian/Vietnamese dual nationals who have entered Vietnam on their Vietnamese passport may be limited, as local authorities may claim the person is a Vietnamese citizen. Particularly in cases of arrest and detention, Australian consular officials may not be advised, permitted consular access or allowed to provide consular assistance to Australian/Vietnamese dual nationals.

We encourage all Australian/Vietnamese dual nationals to travel on their Australian passport. Australian citizens are required to re-enter Australia on an Australian passport.

If you are an Australian/Vietnamese dual national, you may be subject to compulsory military service while in the country. For further information, contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam in Australia before you travel.

Our Dual nationals page provides further information.


We strongly recommend that you take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, including medical evacuation, before you depart. Confirm that your insurance covers you for the whole time you'll be away and check what circumstances and activities are not included in your policy. Remember, regardless of how healthy and fit you are, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. The Australian Government will not pay for a traveller's medical expenses overseas, guarantee your payment, or medical evacuation costs.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our health page also provides useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

Outside of Australia, Australian citizens do not have the same level of access to the Australian social welfare system (Centrelink). Medicare is also not available in Vietnam and medical services are provided on a fee-paying basis. Once overseas, you will be responsible for meeting all costs associated with any treatment you receive.

Prescription medicine that is available in Australia may not be available in Vietnam. For information about carrying medications into Vietnam, see the Entry and exit section.

The standard of medical facilities and care in Vietnam varies. Foreign private medical clinics are available in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Vung Tau and Da Nang but may not meet Australian standards. Medical facilities and care at most public hospitals, especially in areas outside Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, are poor and medical evacuation to a major centre may be required for even relatively minor operations. Doctors and hospitals expect fee payment prior to providing medical services, including for emergency care. Some hospitals may liaise with travel insurance companies for payment, others may request upfront payment.

Air evacuation from Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City may be required in cases of serious illness or accident. Air evacuations, often to Bangkok or Singapore, are very expensive.

Hyperbaric chambers are located in Khanh Hoa (Nha Trang), Quy Nhon (Binh Dinh), Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.

Outbreaks of water-borne, food-borne, parasitic and other infectious diseases (including HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, rabies, typhoid, tuberculosis, and meningitis) occur from time to time.

Zika virus: There is ongoing transmission of Zika virus in Vietnam. All travellers should protect themselves from mosquito bites. The Australian Department of Health advises pregnant women to discuss any travel plans with their doctor and to defer non-essential travel to affected areas. Further advice for both females and males is available from the Department of Health. Also see our Zika virus travel bulletin.

The mosquito-borne illness dengue fever is prevalent in Vietnam, particularly in the south. Malaria is also a risk in some remote mountainous areas of Vietnam. We recommend you take measures to avoid mosquito bites including using insect repellent at all times, wear long, loose-fitting, light coloured clothing, ensure your accommodation is mosquito proof and that you ask your doctor about taking prophylaxis against malaria.

The mosquito-borne disease Japanese encephalitis is also prevalent in Vietnam. A Japanese encephalitis vaccine is registered for use and is currently available in Australia.

Rabies is a potentially fatal viral disease that is almost always spread by an animal bite but can also be spread when a rabid animal's saliva gets directly into the eyes, nose, mouth, or broken skin. In Vietnam, most cases are reported in the mountain provinces of Northern Vietnam and most commonly transmitted through dog bites. Travellers are strongly advised to avoid direct contact with dogs and other mammals. See our health page for further information on what to do if bitten by an animal that may carry rabies.

Acute watery diarrhoea and cholera occur in Vietnam, with more serious outbreaks occurring from time to time throughout the country. Careful preparation and selection of food and good personal hygiene are strongly recommended. Medical attention should be sought if symptoms continue.

We advise you to boil all drinking water or drink bottled water with intact seals and to avoid ice cubes, raw and undercooked food and unpasteurised dairy products. Seek medical advice if you have a fever or are suffering from diarrhoea.

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) is common in Vietnam with more serious outbreaks occurring from time to time. In Asia, outbreaks of HFMD usually start in March/April and peak in May but can continue until August to October. It mostly affects children under the age of 10 years but adult cases (particularly young adults) are not unusual. The illness is characterised by fever as well as blisters and rashes on the hands, feet and buttocks. HFMD is spread by direct contact with nose and throat discharges and faeces of infected people. Normal hygiene precautions should be taken including careful and frequent hand washing.

Outbreaks of conjunctivitis occur in Vietnam. We advise you to avoid close contact with anyone who is infected, wash your hands thoroughly and frequently, and avoid exposure to infected eyes.

In Vietnam, you may need to produce a legalised birth certificate to be recognised as next of kin for medical consent purposes. Find more information about legalising documents at Legalising documents.

Vietnam has experienced human deaths from avian influenza in the past. See our health pages for further information.

Where to get help

Depending on your enquiry, your best option may be to first contact your family, friends, airline, travel agent, tour operator, employer or travel insurer. Your travel insurer should have a 24 hour emergency number.

Emergency numbers in Vietnam are 113 for police, 114 for fire, and 115 for ambulance. Please note that these numbers are operated in Vietnamese only and may be unreliable. Local police have the discretion as to whether or not they accept a case reported to them by a foreigner. It is recommended that you have a translator with you if reporting a crime to the local police.

If the matter relates to complaints about tourism services or products, contact the service provider directly.

The Consular Services Charter explains what the Australian Government can and can't do to assist Australians overseas. For consular assistance, see contact details below:

Australian Embassy, Hanoi

8 Dao Tan Street
Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Telephone: +84 4 3774 0100
Facsimile: +84 4 3774 0111

Australian Consulate-General, Ho Chi Minh City

20th Floor, Vincom Centre
47 Ly Tu Trong Street
Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Telephone: +84 8 3521 8100
Facsimile: +84 8 3521 8101

See the Embassy and Consulate-General websites for information about opening hours and temporary closures that may affect service provision.

In a consular emergency if you are unable to contact the Embassy you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305, or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Additional information

Natural disasters, severe weather and climate

Flooding is common across Vietnam during rainy season (June-December) and could also lead to landslides. The Mekong River Commission website contains information on flood levels for the Mekong River region.

Typhoons are also common during this period. The areas most affected by typhoons are the coastal provinces of the North and Central Regions. However, typhoons in the south, though less frequent, still occur. If a typhoon does occur, travellers should follow the instructions of local authorities, monitor media and weather reports, and check with tour operators before travelling to affected areas.

For information on what to do in a storm, see our severe weather page.

All oceanic regions of the world can experience tsunamis, but in the Indian and Pacific Oceans, there is a more frequent occurrence of large, destructive tsunamis because of the many large earthquakes along major tectonic plate boundaries and ocean trenches. See the Tsunami Awareness brochure.

Information on natural disasters can be obtained from the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. If a natural disaster occurs, follow the advice of local authorities.

Additional resources