Toggle Menu SearchSearch


  • Exercise normal safety precautions in Macau. Use common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour, as you would in Australia. Monitor the media and other sources for changes to local travelling conditions.
  • Typhoon season is between May and October. Keep informed of regional weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Local safety procedures require businesses and transportation to close during typhoon level 8 and above. Monitor local media and follow the instructions of local emergency officials. See Additional information.
  • Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Macau. The Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong provides assistance to Australians in Macau, including a monthly visit to provide passport and consular services.
  • Also see Travel Smart for general advice for all travellers.

Entry and exit

Macau is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China with separate visa and entry administration to that of mainland China and Hong Kong.

Australian tourists do not require a visa for visits of less than 30 days.

Visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations) can change at short notice. Seek information from the nearest Embassy or Consulate of the People's Republic of China or visit the Macau Immigration Service website, or the Macau tourism website for the most up-to-date information, well in advance of travel.

If you travel to Macau SAR from mainland China you may require a new Chinese visa if you intend to re-enter mainland China. We strongly recommend that you get an appropriate visa for China before leaving Australia. For further information about visa issues, contact your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate. Read our travel advice for China.

Make sure your passport has at least six months' validity from your planned date of return to Australia. Ensure you have checked the requirements for all of the destinations to which you plan to travel.

Safety and security


Terrorism is a threat throughout the world. See our Terrorist Threat Overseas bulletin.


There is little violent crime in Macau, but petty crime, such as pickpocketing and bag snatching occasionally occurs, particularly in crowded shopping areas, markets, the airport and near casinos. Drink spiking is possible so do not leave drinks unattended in casinos, bars or nightclubs.

Take normal precautions when using ATMs or direct debit machines. Use ATMs in controlled areas such as inside banks, shops, shopping centres or casinos. If approached while using an ATM, cancel the transaction before speaking to anyone.

Local travel

Ferries are a common mode of transport between Macau, Hong Kong and the Chinese mainland. There are occasionally ferry accidents that result in casualties, most recently in June 2014.

Airline safety

See the Aviation Safety Network website for information on aviation in Macau.

Also refer to our air travel page for information on aviation safety and security.


You are subject to the local laws of Macau, including those that appear harsh by Australian standards. If you’re arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to help you under our Consular Services Charter. But we can't get you out of trouble or out of jail. Research laws before travelling, especially for an extended stay.

Penalties for possession, use or trafficking in illegal drugs, including ‘soft‘ drugs, include heavy fines and imprisonment. See our Drugs page.

Laws prohibiting demonstrations without government approval are strictly enforced. If arrested you could be imprisoned or deported.

Avoid taking photographs of military installations in Macau.

Macau has strict laws regarding the import and/or possession of weapons and items that may resemble weapons, including replicas, antiques, toys, or fashion accessories that resemble such items. The import and possession of such items is illegal unless permits have been obtained from local authorities beforehand.

Some Australian criminal laws, such as those relating to money laundering, bribery of foreign public officials, terrorism, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, child pornography and child sex tourism, apply to Australians overseas. Australians who commit these offences while overseas may be prosecuted in Australia.

Australian authorities are committed to combating sexual exploitation of children by Australians overseas. Australians may be prosecuted at home under Australian child sex tourism and child pornography laws. These laws provide severe penalties of up to 25 years imprisonment for Australians who engage in child sexual exploitation while outside of Australia.

Information for dual nationals

Under Chinese law, dual nationality is not recognised. However, Macau's basic law allows dual nationals of Chinese descent to register their Australian nationality with the Macau Identification Bureau if they wish to be considered as a national of Australia and receive access to Australian consular services. If you are an Australian/Macau dual national, seek further information on completing a Declaration of Change of Nationality, and the consequences of this, from the Macau Identification Bureau.

Macau Identification Bureau
Largo do Senado No. 18
Edificio Comercial China 2.0-5.0 Andares, Macau
Telephone (853) 2837 0777

If you plan to enter mainland China from Macau, do so on your Australian passport. If you travel on other documents, we will not be able to provide you with consular assistance.

Our Dual nationals page provides further information.


Take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, including medical evacuation, before you depart. Confirm that your insurance covers you for the whole time you'll be away and check what circumstances and activities are not included in your policy. Remember, regardless of how healthy and fit you are, if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel. The Australian Government will not pay for a traveller's medical expenses overseas or medical evacuation costs.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. Get vaccinated before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our health pages also provide useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

The standard of medical facilities in Macau is adequate, but in the event of a serious illness or accident, medical evacuation to Hong Kong may be considered necessary due to the availability of specialists and high standard of medical care. Private hospitals in Macau will insist on confirmation of insurance cover, guarantee of payment or an up-front deposit prior to admitting patients.

The levels of air pollution in Macau may aggravate bronchial, sinus or asthma conditions. People with existing heart or respiratory illnesses should reduce physical exertion and outdoor activities on days where high pollution levels are reported. The Macau Bureau of Meteorology provides up-to-date air quality reports on its website.

Outbreaks of the mosquito-borne illness dengue fever occur from time to time. We recommend you take measures to avoid mosquito bites, including using insect repellent, wearing long, loose-fitting, light-coloured clothing and ensuring your accommodation is mosquito proof.

The mosquito-borne disease Japanese encephalitis is found throughout many regions of North, South and South-East Asia and Papua New Guinea. A Japanese encephalitis vaccine is registered for use and is currently available in Australia. For further details, contact your travel health doctor.

Water-borne, food-borne and other infectious diseases (including tuberculosis, hepatitis and hand, foot and mouth disease) occur sporadically. Avoid raw and undercooked food. Drink only boiled or bottled water, and avoid ice cubes. Seek medical advice if you have a fever or are suffering from diarrhoea.

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD) is common in Macau with more serious outbreaks occurring from time to time. In Asia, outbreaks of HFMD usually start in March/April and peak in May, but can continue until August to October each year. It mostly affects children under the age of 10 years but adult cases (particularly young adults) are not unusual. The illness is characterised by fever as well as blisters and rashes on the hands, feet and buttocks. HFMD is spread by direct contact with nose and throat discharges and faeces of infected people. Normal hygiene precautions should be taken, including careful and frequent hand washing.

Where to get help

Depending on the nature of your enquiry, your best option may be to contact your family, friends, airline, travel agent, tour operator, employer or travel insurer. Your travel insurer should have a 24-hour emergency number.

If the matter relates to criminal issues, contact the police in Macau on 999, 110 or 112 (national emergency numbers). Always obtain a police report when reporting a crime.

If the matter relates to complaints about tourism services, contact the service provider directly.

Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Macau. You can contact the Australian Government at the Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong for consular assistance in accordance with the Consular Services Charter. The Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong, visits Macau each month to provide passport and consular services.

Australian Consulate-General, Hong Kong

23/F Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road
Wanchai, Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2827 8881
Facsimile: (852) 2585 4457

See the Consulate-General website for information about opening hours.

If you are unable to contact the Consulate-General in a consular emergency, you can contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on +61 2 6261 3305 or 1300 555 135 within Australia.

Additional information

Natural disasters, severe weather and climate

Typhoon season is between May and October. Macau has a well-developed severe weather alert and monitoring system. Further information is available from the Macau Observatory or the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. Monitor local media reports and follow the instructions of local emergency officials.

If you are travelling during typhoon season, contact your tour operator to check whether tourist services at your planned destination have been affected.

You should keep informed of regional weather forecasts and plan accordingly. Local safety procedures require businesses and transportation to close during a typhoon level 8 (T8) and above. Flights and ferry rides into and out of Macau may be delayed or suspended, including for weather-related issues. Contact your travel operator or airline for the latest departure information. Familiarise yourself with your hotel evacuation plans. Carry your travel documents at all times (i.e. passport, photo identification, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. Contact friends and family in Australia with updates about your welfare and whereabouts.

In accordance with Hong Kong typhoon management strategies, the Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong closes when the T8 signal is given in Hong Kong. Consular assistance remains available through the 7 day, 24–hour Consular Emergency Centre on either Hong Kong telephone number +852 2827 8881 or Australian telephone number +61 2 6261 3305.

For further information, see our severe weather page.

Additional resources